Tuesday, January 27, 2004

It has been a tiring week...Chinese New Year, SAT's and getting back on track with the tutorials...

Chinese New Year really burned a hole in my wallet. First it was dinner at Ajisen Ramen, Tampines Mall, last last week. Ate some kind of Noodles in Miso soup + California Maki + Green Tea (roughly S$15). Then on the 1st day of Chinese New Year it was dinner at Pizza Hut, Tampines Mall (roughly S$10? Don't remember). Then it was the climax...2nd day of Chinese New Year, I had dinner with a group of 6 at Canton Kitchen, Simei. It cost us S$30 per person! But the cod fish was VERY VERY nice, also, the tender chicken, Shark's Fin Soup, Mushroom in Abalone sauce, and of course, the 'Yu2 Sheng1' or Yee Sang. Then on the 4th day I went to watch 'The Last Samurai' ($7.50 or $8.50? don't remember) at Suntec. Then ate dinner at Nooch in Citylink Mall, A large bowl of Japanese noodles ($11.00).

Then of course there was the SATs. I had done 2 tests on paper and 1 test online last year to prepare. I completed 2 online tests 2 weeks before the SATs and I did 3 tests on paper 3 days before the SAT. But I realised that the tests on paper that I did wasn't really standardised because I got 1340/1600 for one, but the other I got 1590/1600, which is rather impossible for an actual SAT. Anyway, I expect to get around 1350-1450 for this SAT. The maths was easier than those that I did in some books but the verbal (as always) is a deterrent to obtain better results. Results will be out by 6 FEB. If I don't get 1500 I'll take the test again in May or June. If I'm going to take the test again I would have to take it this year because next year they'll be using a new testing method. Certain sections such as Analogies and Qualitative Comparison will be abolished but they'll add short passages and require students to write an essay! I'm also thinking of taking SAT II: Subject Tests but I'm not so sure if I really should because it is only relevant if I want to go to the top US Universities...or to get the A*STAR scholarships.

I was elected the Careers Representative in my class last last week. I got my first assignment yesterday to disseminate information concerning the prestigious A*STAR scholarships. It is a very competitive scholarship because applicant are expected to score at least 4 distinctions in their A-level subjects, at least a merit in an S-paper, score at least 1400 for SAT and 2100 for SAT II. But I guess the worse part is that they expect ASEAN nationals who get selected to apply for Singapore Citizenship.... Arggh!!! I might consider that (and maybe renouncing Singapore Citizenship after the 6-year bond) if I could skip National Service.

What's so alluring of this scholarship is that they give you support for up to 8 years of academic pursuit, leading to a PhD degree! Successful candidates will recieve full tuition fees, annual bok and conference allowance, monthly sustenance allowance, monthly overseas allowance (for PhD component), annual return airfare, computer allowance and warm clothing and settling-in allowance! More details at www.a-star.edu.sg

I visited Mr. Ng's (hostel manager) house, my friend Guolin's house and Mrs. Kitty Tan (my Civics tutor and Physics tutor) 2 days ago...at least I've got some Angpow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home