Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Yesterday (Tuesday) I realised the need to be optimistic in overcoming obstacles in life...this is what happened...

Well, the day started with me cursing all the mosquitoes buzzing around my ears because I was awoken after I was bitten by one of them (somehow), at about 6.25 a.m. (I usually wake up around 6.45 a.m.) The sleep didn't help to rejuvenate myself...I was still lethargic when I woke up.

Anyway, I had set in my mind the 4 obstacles that I would have to face early in the morning. The first was having to write an essay during GP double-period. I settled on Q11 "The answer to crime is harsh laws. How far do you agree?". I had absolutely no idea how was I going to write the essay but when we had to pass up our essay I had 3 lines on the 4th page. I managed to complete it! And I was glad.

The second obstacle was the lightest of them all, enduring the Chinese period. That was quite swift...

The third obstacle was the Maths S paper test. I had 2 periods to prepare before the test but I was still worried and nervous when I entered Lecture Theatre 2. Imagine my relief when I found out how similar the questions asked were compared to what I had been revising in the past hour! Unfortunately though, I had no time to complete the paper (my brain's thinking to slow)... We only need to score 30% to pass...

The fourth obstacle was actually my weekly choir practice because I always feel pressured to sing properly... It's quite difficult for me sometimes coz I can't seem to get the pitch and techniques correct... Well, I'm still glad coz I get to stay in contact with music and I've actually improved my music knowledge along the way...

At the end of the day, I was rather relaxed... the day had went on smoothly and I atribute it to being optimistic (and a bit of luck too?)...

Oh, Miss Tham (our choir conductor) told us the story behind one of the premiering pieces SYC ensemble singers (also under her tutelage) will be performing this Saturday at the Esplanade. It is to do with these 2 mythical characters called Narcissis and Echo. Narcissis was a handsome but arrogant person who thought no woman could ever be fit for him. He was therefore cursed to fall in love with the first person he sees after being cursed. He saw his reflection in a pool nearby... Echo was a woman who liked to talk, talk, talk, talk... She was therefore cursed and could only only repeat the last few words of a sentence spoken by other people (Hence, the word 'echo'). She fell in love with Narcissis but Narcissis was in love with himself (hence, the word 'narcissism'). Narcissis would be at the pool all day staring at his reflection without eating and drinking saying things like "love me, want me" and Echo would be repeating after him. In the end they both died, most probably due to starvation......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home