Friday, July 23, 2004

Woohoo!
I had my first blood donation yesterday in school... The entire process from signing the form and filing in particulars to the storage of a packet full of MY BLOOD took quite long, about 2 hours coz the queue was rather long.

After the filing of forms etc., they take a small sample of blood from you. The nurse used this thing on my finger that is kinda like a stapler---*tack*--- and then she squeezed my finger while using a capilary tube to suck some blood out through capilary action. she then drops some of the blood into a beaker full of copper sulphate. I learnt later that this is to test if the iron content in your blood is sufficient or not. Blood that sinks down would be accepted...

Then it's the long long wait for my turn...

When it was finally my turn I was quite excited... can't really explain what I felt... I don't think I was very scared because this is not the first time I had a needle poked into my arm... haha... I was a bit freaked out though when my vien bulged up (It was nearly hemispherical in shape!) when the nurse injected something into it. I had to hold this rubber bicycle handle sort of thing while I was lying down. Afterwards it was just squeeze, release, squeeze, release.... Finally, after 5~7 minutes when my blood started flowing into the pack, the nurse stopped the flow of blood to the pack. However, she still had to fill 4 test tubes with my blood. Quite sad seeing your own blood sent away...haha...

Anyway, an advice to people intending to donate blood. If you had blackouts or felt faint after seeing blood or even after having cut yourself before, DON'T donate! My roommate felt faint after his pack was filled halfway through and the nurses discontinued it...

Hmm... one sad thing was that the number of Yr2 guys who donate was 57 while that of the girls was 100+. Yr 1 students were more balanced... 118 guys, 120 girls. Mr. Ng and Ms. Rita Wong kept wondering... Anyway, the numbers were placed in a table, and when we saw it we told Mr. Ng about it and he started telling us we could make a chi-squared test of independence between the sex of students who donated and the batch of students who donated (Year 1 and 2)... haha... sorry, this joke applies to Further Maths students only...

That's about all I can say...

Another is my results for JCT... I think I shall put them out here so that I can be constantly reminded to work harder:

  • Physics-----A                            
  • Mathematics-----B                     
  • Chemistry-----B                          
  • Further Mathematics-----C      
  • General Paper-----B4                  
 
*sighz* must work harder!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home