Monday, August 02, 2004

I couldn't finish reading the book, so I shall only mention one of the flaws in the arguments of the authors of Cracking the Da Vinci Code.

Well, firstly, I have no intention to offend any believer of the Christian Faith......*peace*.......

Dan Brown mentioned in his book through the character Robert Langdon that people (esp. the Church) had tried to 'immortalise' Jesus who he claims was human and was 'voted' by the Council of Nicaea to become god-like. So, naturally the authors tries to refute this. These are a few arguments that I've remembered:

  • That Jesus must be the Messiah, because he could've saved his own life by saying that he was not the Messiah, but didn't.
  • That his disciples could save their own lives if the could just acknowledge that they were telling lies and that Jesus is not the Messiah, but didn't.
  • The authors said that any sane person would not be so committed and faithful to the teachings of Jesus if what he said was not the Truth.

Please don't get offended... OK, the authors are assuming that Jesus and his disciples are all sane and that they were 100% sure that Jesus was immortal and god-like just because they never saved their own lives by saying no. There have been many secret sects around the world, and many of these people also truly believe in the teachings of their sects to the extent that they would willingly die for the sect (this happened before in the US and Africa). And most astonishingly is that some of these people are professionals and should be so-called sane. But they're not quite sane in the eyes of many, right? People many follow the wrong path and be blinded because of their overwhelming belief in something. The fact that the disciples didn't try to save their own lives can only indicate their faithfulness and infatuation with what they believe, nothing else.

Personally I'm very open with religions. If there's anything you would like to discuss with me, please go ahead (Yi Jian, especially...I expect a lot of comments from you). I'm just trying out at arguing my points (hope I'm not doing to badly).

******************************

OK, back to everyday life. I went to Paya Lebar to study on Friday with the usual study group. The food is soooooo expensive there!

Anyway, I've bought a new bag (Deuter--'Spider' model)as my old bag if rather unfit to use. Also bought a proper water bottle (new Nalgene model) because everyone is saying that reusing plastic watter bottles is unhealthy etc. The bag cost be S$51.20 (I can see the bewildered faces of my parents now) and the water bottle S$12.50. Actually, it's not such a bad investment because the Deuter bag has lifelong guarantee and has many useful compartments. It also provides more support and reduce strain for my shoulders and my back.

Napfa test coming up. In fact, some are having their tests today. Mine's tomorrow. I hope to get at least a Silver grade (By the way I failed last year). At least I can do more pull-ups now... I'm more worried of the Standing Broad Jump actually...

I've asked Anbu to teach me how to play tennis. I think I should try to do a variety of sports and exercises. I should go and swim more often (Must FORCE Ching Mien to go or else he will still be afraid of the deep pool!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home