Wednesday, October 06, 2004

It's only been a few days but it seems like I haven't blogged for a long time...

Anyway, the mid-autumn festival was celebrated in the hostel a week or so ago. We became small kids again for awhile, carrying lanterns and walking around the neighbourhood. We had some rather nice mooncakes provided and paid by the hostel (oh, the lanterns too), and we had some (rather dilute) Chinese Tea. Someone bought a pomelo too... but as there were sooooo many of us, everyone could only get to eat rather little portions. It's interesting to note that the China scholars DO NOT know about the pomelo (or you4 zi3)... maybe it's a Southern China thing?

I've gotten most of my papers back. I'll be getting Physics 'S' Paper back today and Maths 'S' Paper God-knows-when. Hopefully I'll get a 'Merit' for Physics 'S'. As for the main A-level subjects and General Paper, I've gotten all my scores but I can only guess at the grades. So here it is:

Mathematics : 86% (A)
Physics: 78% (A)
Chemistry: 55% (C)
Further Mathematics: 55% (C)
General Paper: 64% (A2)

I'm surprised to get a wonderful A2 for general Paper and equally surprised to get a demoralising C for Further Mathematics. Seems like I wasn't the only one surprised. Mr Wong, my F Maths teacher came up to me in class one day and asked me why I fared badly because he expected much more from me. I told him that I panicked when I couldn't quite figure out the first few questions. I always follow the order--start from question 1 downwards and skip those that I can't do. He suggested that I do those topics that I am more comfortable and confident with first to boost my morale. I'm so touched! Never knew that Mr. Wong was concerned about me or paid much attention to me. Can't possibly disappoint him in the A-levels now......

My Chemistry marks were expected. I've never did wonderfully for chemistry. But I think I'm am making progress finally, even though my marks may show otherwise. I'm confident of securing that 'A' for the A-levels. Physics is a favourite subject of mine, so no problem in getting an 'A' for that... but I shouldn't be complacent!!!

General Paper-- Haha! I'm getting more and more interested in this topic! Why? Because I scored 64% this time (Paper One 32/50 + Paper Two 32/50), my highest ever, jumped grades from my stagnant B4 to A2 and beat everyone in my class. Wahahaha! OK... shall not be arrogant here. But seriously, I need to maintain the interest so that I won't become complacent. The atmosphere of revision and honing of academic skills is terribly lacking in the hostel. Where's the tension? The healthy stress/anxiety level? I'm quite worried for myself as well as the other hostel boarders. Oh, I forgot to mention that Tang Ning, the notorious guy who always plays truant, got 27/50 for his composition (paper1). While he may be rejoicing, his scores have angered Yi Cheng and Zhu Han. Haha... Anyway, my score has really boosted my confidence in General paper. I'll aim for A1 then....

4A+2A1+2 Merit.... here I come!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home