Sunday, May 08, 2005

Me and Chen Hoay set up a new "Special Interest Group" (SIG) in the ReCom forum. It's called "Singapore Life and Education". It's supposed to help people who want to know more about Singapore, ASEAN scholarships and the like, and basically how exactly stressful is it in Singapore (not very)! Not much response at the moment, but we'll try to spread the news. We're starting this because many people have a misconception about Singapore, thus shunning an education there...

Another thing (more personal)... Met Pin Kuan (秉光) when I went jogging near my secondary school. He was walking around the "track" and I was jogging when I saw him. I stopped to say hello and chatted with him. We talked quite a lot: about tertiary education, life after graduation, future aspirations and politics... We both realised we never talked to each other that much before (and he told me last time we sat beside each other in class. WHEN?!? My memory must be failing me...). It was nice talking to him. Glad I can open up to more people now. I have this shyness and introvert character that I'm trying to break out from...

Anyway, I've been surfing the net a lot these days, and I've come across some rather interesting sites.

1. This is a site about a couple from US (both 61 yrs old) that CYLCLED from Singapore up to Bangkok. They're moving on to Cambodia, Laos and probably China. I'm saying in this manner because they are STILL on their journey. There passed through Kota Tinggi, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bahru, Sungai Petani, Alor Setar, Kangar etc. on their trip up to Thailand. Interesting folk I would say. Interesting folk. They're inspiring me to try something similar too... perhaps during my uni life?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=as&page_id=19483&v=11w

2. Went to this link that was provided by a fellow ReCommer. Bo Yang gives an interesting insight to the problems that plague Chinese worldwide. However, he merely touches some issues here and there in this speech. I'm probably going to buy his book 《丑陋的中国人》(The Ugly Chinaman) soon.

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~mszonyi/280/280Bo_Yang.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home