Thursday, June 30, 2005

End-of-June Ramblings

Moth infestation!!! I have seen moths flying in and out my house for 3 consecutive days! In fact, there's a moth right outside my room now. Wonder what's going on...

**** **** **** ****
Got a letter from Temasek Junior College (my Alma Mater). The post office in Singapore processed it on 25 June and I received it on the 29th. That's OK. But the problem lies inside. The letter was dated 1 June! OK, so maybe they were a bit slow in processing.HOWEVER, this particular sentence really frustrates me: "Collection for [the Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-level] certificate and requests for amendment(s) must be submitted to the General Office before 30 June 2005."

I don't care. I'm gonna get my certificate mid-July.

**** **** **** ****
Read an article about UM (Universiti Malaya) in 星洲日报 (Sin Chew Jit Poh). UM celebrates its 100th year this year, just like NUS, because they came from the same "root". It is therefore rather startling to note that while UM is ranked #89 in the Times Higher Education list (and some Malaysians are happy of it), NUS is far ahead at #18. And why is this so? It obviously boils down to how the universities are run. I am unfamiliar with these things, but Emeritus Prof. Dr. Khoo Kay Kim did comment on how there seems to be a lack of knowledge pursuit amogst the students nowadays compared to his time. Many things seem to be distracting or restricting them, for example, politics and Akta Universiti dan Kolej Universiti (AUKU)(University and University College Act). As for me, I'm wondering if Malaysian universities now allow A-level students into public universities or not. Probably not, coz they don't want competition from foreign talents I suppose. I feel that most Malaysians are "katak di bawah tempurung" (narrow-minded/unknowlegeable/井底之蛙 etc.), and Malaysian universities are not helping the situation.

(Just so that you may want to know, I am unable to access UM's website at the moment. Bah!)

**** **** **** ****
Google has a new service! It's called Google Earth. Check it out!

Excerpt from Screenshots:
It's touted as a 3D interface to the planet that combines satellite imagery, maps and the power of Google Search to put the world’s geographic information at your fingertips.
Click here to see how the local councils in the Klang Valley had allowed Mother Earth to be raped incessantly.


**** **** **** ****
June 2005 has been the most exciting month for me for quite some time. AIESEC's MIRACLE youth conference, trip to Indon, trip to Penang and Langkawi... Didn't do much academic-wise, but I feel all perked up for uni already. Haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home