Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Vielen Dank Dr. Rogner!

Had my German Oral test less than 2 hours ago. I was nervous, which was usual of me for these type of tests. I remember I could not elaborate on my points much for the Chinese oral test during JC (but strangely got an 'A'). It was similar this time, except that it was a language I was far less confident with, and which I had only seriously taken up 3 months ago. And just a few days ago, I was contemplating whether or not to "S-U" my German (which means to put it into a satisfactory/unsatisfactory rating, whereby the marks are not counted towards CGPA but the academic units (AU) are).

I decided to "S-U" my choir module instead, because I believe my singing technique, pitch control etc. are more volatile and unstable, and therefore lead to a higher probability to fail the subject. I believe I have now made the right choice.

Dr. Rogner is my German tutor. She is a native German, which helps because she knows more about colloquail and common ways to say something rather than someone who learnt it as a foreign language.

OK, firstly, I screwed up on the presentation part. We were told to prepare for 4 scenarios and would be told of which one to present mere minutes before the test. So I was supposed to present what I do during the weekends (Was machen Sie am Wochenende?). I guess my preparation was too last minute, but I managed with some help from Dr. Rogner. The second part was passage reading (my strongest ability). She only corrected 2 words for pronounciation. Woohoo! Then the last part was simple simple Q&A, like how old am I etc.

At the end of the test, she praised me. She said I had very good pronunciation. I'm not trying to boast here, but that really really made my day, and it totally perked me up. Since we had time left, we talked a bit... She asked me why past year papers were allowed to be printed and given out; I said that was the norm here in Singapore, with all the ten-year series (TYS) etc. Apparently in Germany, this is forbidden. I asked her stuff about whether education in Germany was cheap etc. and I said I had tried to get a scholarship to study in Germany (JPA lah, what else), but didn't get it. She said I should try some more, because she really thinks I have the capability to study in Germany. Maybe someday I will?

People seem to have faith in my capabilities... but I don't feel exactly the same way. Can't let them down... what must I do?

Anyway, this encouragement from my German tutor was really timely as I was rather demoralised yesterday when my group got 5th out of the 6 groups participating for the Aerospace Engineering Discovery Course Glider Design Competition. This was the final part of our Discovery Course II module (1 AU course... yet we "piah" so much for it...). Basically there are 2 parts to the competition: distance and accuracy. For the first part we had to "launch" our glider from a "launcher" and the further it goes the better. However, there were certain "obstacles"... if the glider climbed too much during flight it would hit the wall at the end instead of passing through between the columns beneath it. If it curved to much it would hit the column or pass through another opening and the distance beyond the columns would thus not be counted.

Our group was named "Go Yongki Go!" after our mentor Assoc. Prof. Yongki Go. Sorry to disappoint you prof, but we really tried hard... at the time of the competition, we had reached model Yongki Go 7 (which means we had built 7 planes in total). But all in all, it was a good experience. Hopefully we have gained more knowledge about flight through this competition that would be useful in the years to come.

Team "Go Yongki Go!". Back row (l-r):Ge Yao, Yinxiang,
Assoc. Prof. Yongki Go, me, Hannah. Front: How Run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home