Sunday, September 09, 2007

Qatar Airways flight

The last time I had a long distance flight was a Thai Airways flight from Singapore to Frankfurt with a transit at Bangkok in Dec 2003. I didn't quite enjoy it because it was a night flight, the seats felt cramped, the atmosphere felt bad and I could attain at best a half-sleep-half-awake mode during the flight. Also I was separated from the other choir members that I was travelling with.

This time round I have to say I felt much better. The food was better, the atmosphere was better and I didn't felt like I was in a cramped space (although space was still limited). Best of all I could sleep for awhile during the flight.

Gute Reise ~~ Good Travel ~~ Have a good trip!

Ok, so let's start from the beginning at Changi airport. Sadly no one from NTU aerospace came to send us off, I guess because they had a quiz that morning, and our flight was scheduled at 7.10am. Anyway, Bernard's family and 2 of his friends did come. My total luggage weight actually exceeded the limit by a lot (note to self: weigh in advance next time!), but the counter person ignored it so... *phew*. Regret bringing so many clothes, but that's another story for next time.

Before entering the gates. I look fat here huh?

So anyway, I was excited and nervous. There was so much I was kinda afraid of, but there was also so much I look forward to (travelling being one of them). First leg of the flight: Singapore-Qatar. Sadly there was no personal in-flight entertainment... and the music was old and crappy =P The breakfast, with the main "course" being omelette wrapped in mozarella cheese, was actually rather tasteless. Then later we had a smaller "brunch" meal, and I found the custard cake rather nice.


An excited me in my seat


Breakfast: Fruit salad, Croissant, Bread, Omelette in Mozarella Cheese...


"Brunch": Sandwich, tea and a custard cake


We arrived at Qatar International Airport at 9+am local time which was earlier than scheduled. Like in many airports I've been to in China/HK, there was no skybridge directly from the airplane to terminal so we had to take a bus. And I saw... a barren desert landscape. Seriously I was thinking about planet Naboo from Star Wars. The facilities at the airport were ok. I wrote a blog entry.

Barren land and sand sand sand...



The ONLY colorful structure in view...


We didn't eat anything there. I read a bit of my Freakonomics book but I grew sleepy after sometime. So somehow we let time slip by and it was time to board our plane to Munich. As we stepped out from the terminal to the bus outside, I heard a lady said "Sauna". That was so true... it was hot hot hot outside.


The plane taking us from Doha to Munich


So anyway, the 2nd leg of the flight. We got bad seats... at the side but no windows (right beside the emergency exit), and we couldn't incline our seats. But that's was more a problem to Bernard... I don't usually incline my seat much, even when I take a bus back to BP. So anyway, now we had personalised entertainment with a mini-screen in front of each of us. I watched Ocean's Thirteen and then Das Leben Der Anderen (The Lives of Others), but I didn't complete the latter. Foodwise was also better, I liked the chicken, mashed potato and raw salmon meat for lunch. Mmm...



So anyway, we landed, we met with the person who was supposed to fetch us, Ms Caroline. And that's another story again, so... haha...

**** **** **** ****
Going to Neuschwanstein Castle tomorrow. It's the most famous castle in Germany and the Disneyland castle was modelled after it.

My next post would likely be a long overdue continuation of my China/HK series. Haha...

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if I should mention that I am still plannign to go there. Despite having lived here in southern Germany for a few years now, I haven't seen it yet.

But I saw the Disney version...

cheers
rené

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Gunz said...

i also wanna go Neuschwanstein Castle! haha...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home