Sunday, November 25, 2007

Prague Trip (Part 2)

Day 3

On the 3rd day we woke up early. Left a note for the Europeans in case they decided to leave before we came back (they didn't. Lol). We wanted to see Karlův most early in the morning (as suggested by Lonely Planet).

almost empty streets

Passed by the Old Town Square first. Almost no one there! It was really a nice open large space and it felt like a really refreshing morning.

Pražský orloj (Astronomical Clock)

St. Nicolas Church

Shops surrounding the Old Town Square

There weren't many people on Karlův most so it was great. We crossed over and walked around the other side of the bridge. Saw some swans and ducks so we took some of our bread out to feed them. Then we walked South by the river and crossed over at another bridge. Walked south somemore to the famous Tančící dům (Dancing House). Striking architecture. We then went back to the hostel. The others just woke up. We fixed a time to meet for lunch and then we continued walking on our own. We went to Václavské náměstí (Wencelas Square) which is right beside our hostel and walked up towards the museum. Didn't enter though.

One of the many statues lining Karlův most

Me on the bridge, with the Castle and Cathedral on the hill at the background

Jump photo. Should do this more often! Haha.

Reminds me of my childhood days. Haha...

Dancing House

Wencelas monument along Václavské náměstí (Wencelas Square)

The three of us then decided to go back to the Castle area again to get the €2 souvenir. As we were leaving we saw a sign stating that the president's residence area (which is what you first see when you enter the castle grounds, should be their equivalent of the White House) was open to visitors today! So we decided to go in.

Marble floors and red-cushioned Sofas...

Chandeliers... so many that it was rather hot inside.

We then went to Tesco. The "shopping centre" looked worse than what I can find in Malaysia so it kinda reminded me I was in East Europe. It was kinda late as we walked back to the Old Town Square. Had some Glühwein and something. We then went to T.G.I. Friday's on Bernard's request. They actually have Singapore Sling on the menu!

The sign says Staroméstský Trdelník, dunno if that's the shop name or the food. Haha.

At night I joined the pillow fight. Lol.

Day 4

Woke up kinda late. We checked out but left our luggage/backpacks at the reception. Went to the shop outside Tesco to get a hotdog. Then we did some shopping near the Old Town region and around the "Pasar malam" area. Bought a T-shirt.

Hot Dog Czech style - dig a hole in a bun, squeeze some sauce inside and stick a sausage in. Tada!

The 3 of us then crossed over Karlův most (again) and trekked up Petřín hill. On top of the hill was Petřínská rozhledna, aka Eiffel Tower lookalike. There was a funicular train service but we didn't use it.

Going up Petřín hill, towards the "Hunger Wall"

the Eiffel Tower lookalike

Taking photos of Prague as we go up

Bye bye Prague!

Bought another T-shirt (after some hesitation. Could only find that particular T-shirt in one shop). Met up with the rest and then we took the train back to Munich.

On the train I mostly slept, read a book or ate stuff. If you recall from Day 1 I forgot to bring my passport. Well well, they checked at the Czech-German border. Jialat. Was explaining to the German customs officer in German that I forgot and stuff, but I had my student's card at least. The Czech customs guy seemed to want to let me off, but the German officer was kinda persistent and stuff, said I was to stay at the station until 7am (it was only 10pm or so then) until he came the next morning to get my details of activities in Czech and my friends were to bring my passport for me from Munich (!). Ludovic tried to argue for me but the officer accused him and my other friends, said that maybe they were bringing an illegal immigrant into Germany (me. lol). He left after awhile. It was just a shock tactic apparently. Managed to get back to Munich safely. Phew!

THE END

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home