Thursday, January 03, 2008

Meeting up with René

First of all, Ich wünsche allem ein frohes neues Jahr! 2008! New year, new start and new beginnings!

My "Europe Winter Tour" photos have been uploaded, you can check them out at the side column. Will definitely blog about my Europe tour but first, my trip to Baden-Württemberg to meet up with René.

**** **** **** ****

This trip was a rather relaxed one coz I didn't have to plan much beforehand. I basically only bought a train ticket to Tübingen and another back from Stuttgart. This trip also marks the first time I travelled alone in Europe.

Day 1

So anyway, took the train to Tübingen on Friday afternoon, but I didn't check where to umsteigen (change trains), so I had to ask the conductor. He wasn't too sure as well but suggested Stuttgart. The first change was Ulm though. the second change was actually Plochingen and I would've missed it if not for René who called me at the right time.

Anyway, his Singaporean girlfriend, Ying, came to meet me first at the train station. We all met up later and went to the plaza where they were going to show the film "Die Feuerzangenbowle", and sell the drink as well. It was rather crowded and I kinda regretted bringing my backpack along.

Firing up the rum-soaked sugar that goes into the pot

Afterwards the 3 of us and René friend went to eat a late dinner. The price was a bit on the high side, but the portions were humongous. René bought 2 shots of Jägermeister, which I thought kinda smelt like traditional Chinese ointment. Lol. Felt really warm after that though. Went back to René's place after that.

Day 2

Woke up late (the bed was very comfy!). Followed René to the AIESEC room at University of Tübingen. Then went to walk around the Weihnachtsmarkt.

AIESEC room. Same around the world ;)

A corridor in his university

We met up with Ying afterwards and went up to the castle. Some archers were having practice there. We then had lunch at this restaurant beside the river Neckar (indoors, thank goodness. It was cold!). So nice of Ying to pay for me! Thanks!


Schwäbisch (Swabian) tonguetwister, outside a restaurant on the way up to the castle

The castle

Then we went shopping for ingredients to prepare some food for the night's gathering at Ying's place. Then we went to René's place to prepare the food. I was forced by René to help. Haha. Baked some muffins (instant mix type) and also helped to make sushi. Hope I can make some of my own back in Singapore! =)

The lovely couple

Went to the party at Ying's place. There were lots and lots of people of different origins and equally different food. Liked the Turkish dish, which was like 龙须糖 but tasted like cotton candy.

Day 3

Woke up late again. Went to Esslingen first. There's a medieval market there and it is the nicest and most interesting Weihnachtsmarkt I've been too. The sellers were all in medieval garb, there was a mini children ferris wheel operated mechanically by 2 men, there were people playing music with medieval instruments on stage, medieval games etc... really cool.

Through my research online I found out this building (above) to be Schelztor, the north eastern gate of the Pliensauvorstadt. An Esslingen native claims online that "it houses the best ice cream parlor north of Italy ;-) " No idea about the person figure on the plank though.

"ancient" ferris wheel

Medieval band. Notice the curly tip of the shoe worn by the middle guy.

Met up with Jo Ling (whom I met during CSP8) and her friend Tuan. We then bought some Glühwein (nice earthenware-type mugs too!) and climbed up the steps to the wall to have a view of the town.

Me, René, Ying and Jo Ling

After some time took a train to Stuttgart and met up with René's friend. Went up the tower at Hauptbahnhof (using a lift, not so much stair-climbing) to have a view of Stuttgart. There is a large space in Stuttgart where they set up their Weihnachtsmarkt. I'm actually not sure if there's an equivalent in Munich coz I didn't even spend much time at the Munich Christkindlmarkts! Maybe there's a large one on Theresienwiese.

Mercedes Benz logo on top of the tower. Sorry I still prefer BMW =P

Anyway, went around and bought stuff to eat once in a while. We also had some hot chocolate at Starbucks as we wanted to retreat to a warm area. Soon it was time for me to leave and they sent me off at Hauptbahnhof.

It was a pleasant trip. Thanks to René for inviting me over!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home